These resources are designed to help churches make the most of Media Prayer Day.
Click here to go to our downloadable resources page. That’s where you’ll find the video files, PowerPoint, printables, etc.
Make the most of Media Prayer Day
- Sometimes we forget about how many people make up NZ’s media and the roles they play. Get interactive with the congregation and brainstorm a list of media roles – and then pray for the people in those roles. Or you could just focus on one area of media or one show, say the 6pm news. There are vision switchers, people controlling autocue, graphic designers… just to get you started…
- Interview a Christian who works in media. Maybe someone who attends your church?
- How would Jesus respond to the top five news items of this weekend’s newspapers?
- If Christians controlled the media, would they allow freedom of speech? And what would be other implications?
- If you worked for a major NZ advertising firm, and you had a million dollar budget, how would you communicate the “Christian message” as an advertising campaign, and what media would you use?
- Which actors/musicians/TV personalities do you think are the top three influencers of teenagers today? What are their messages? How do you respond to those messages?
- How might the Apostles use media if they were in TV/Radio/Film today? What lessons would they teach us about communicating the Gospel, that we could employ today?
- We, as media consumers, are largely responsible for the stories we hear and see since we are clicking on what is known as ‘click bait’ headlines, which gravitate more to bad and sensational news than good news. Why are we attracted to these types of stories?
- If Jesus were born today, would the media celebrate him, or crucify him? Why?
- Consider the biblical/spiritual themes contained within popular movies (such as Wonder Woman, Beauty and the Beast, Dunkirk, Frozen, Star Wars, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Les Misérables, etc) and talk about the spiritual lessons we can learn from them. Showing a few clips from different movies can make this even more interactive and engaging.
If you have a further idea you’d like to add to the list, please email your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear any other ideas you have, perhaps something that worked well at your church that we can add to the list.